Thursday, February 26, 2009

NICU Life on the horizon

We had another ultrasound today and it was not very good. Aaron had very low fluid in his amniotic sac. Additionally, his heart is enlarged and the walls are thickening. Basically his heart is working overtime to pump blood since he has reverse cord flow, which means the heart failure is progressing. I had my first round of steroids today and go in for my second round tomorrow. Steroids have shown to help mature the lungs and reduce brain hemorrhages in premature babies. Studies also show that the steroids will probably not help Aaron due to his small size and immaturity. After my round of steroids tomorrow night, I will have another ultrasound. Depending on what is found, I may be admitted for hospital bed rest. This way I can be monitored daily and available C-section if things change suddenly.

We are grateful to have come this far. Aaron has put up a good fight and that may continue. Our specialists will be surprised if we make it two more weeks without Aaron's health going further down hill forcing a C-section. We have surprised them thus far, so only the Lord knows! Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughtfulness.

It has been hard the past three weeks and some part of me will be relieved when the pregnancy is over. With all of that said, we are pretty calm. Everything is in the Lord's hands and we know everythign will be used for good in the long run. I feel like we are doing well considering the circumstances, but continue to pray for strength and steadfastness. We are hopeful for defying the odds, but aware that it may not be His plan.

We have to prepare for our upcoming life in the NICU. There is no doubt we will have ups and downs after the births. We have been told not to anticipate taking the boys home before June and perhaps longer. Please pray that we have the Lord's wisdom and discernment; there may be difficult choices on the road ahead. If admitted, I may see if Cory will post. My biggest concern is that our boys will suffer; please pray that God's Grace covers them. My mother and Cory will also need prayer being that they will be working overtime to care for Hannah and accomplish their daily tasks. Please pray also that Hannah will be ok in my absense (I am sure she will :).

No comments:

Post a Comment