
We have kept busy throughout the past month with primarily doctor appointments and adapting to life with three small children. We are thankful for all of the help our parents give us. Hannah is beginning to be sweet to the boys, but still misses being the center of attention. James is growing and is quite the charmer. Nicknames he has picked up are "little Hoover" (due to his desire to suck anything near his mouth and throw down a 7 oz. bottle in 5 mins), "the Magnificent" (Grandpa Middel affectionately named him), and lately "Beef cake". He really isn't THAT big in comparison to most babies, but he is our "Beefcake" baby. I think he is about 14 pounds. James is rolling over (both ways, albeit one way more than the other), smiling, and maybe even laughing. He is very friendly and loves being held. Aaron is growing. Last week I decided he is no longer a "one hander". Anyone around micro-preemies knows this means I can no longer reasonably hold him with only one hand. He is smiling and cooing. Aaron had picked up the nicknames "Wonderboy" and "tiny" (he is still pretty small, hopefully about 10 lbs).
Last week we found out that Aaron has Cortical Visual Impairment (www.blindbabies.org/factsheet_cvi.htm). It turns out his eyes "work", but his brain does not. Since he is so young his brain is changing rapidly. Cortical Visual Impairment can improve. We do think he sees some, but not well. As a result of the ROP, he is extremely nearsighted. I will be getting him glasses this week, so that we can optimize anything he may be seeing. Since eye sight is crucial to development, he will most likely be pretty delayed since his vision is impaired. Please pray that his vision is optimized and that his brain changes in his favor. At the end of the month he has a hearing test which will indicate if he is in fact "hearing" with his brain. I have no doubt he hears, but your brain processes your hearing as well. He may not be hearing as he should. I am a little anxious about this. Aaron is a very sweet little boy and nothing changes our love for him. Thank you for your prayers. All in all, we think he is doing well.
Last week we found out that Aaron has Cortical Visual Impairment (www.blindbabies.org/factsheet_cvi.htm). It turns out his eyes "work", but his brain does not. Since he is so young his brain is changing rapidly. Cortical Visual Impairment can improve. We do think he sees some, but not well. As a result of the ROP, he is extremely nearsighted. I will be getting him glasses this week, so that we can optimize anything he may be seeing. Since eye sight is crucial to development, he will most likely be pretty delayed since his vision is impaired. Please pray that his vision is optimized and that his brain changes in his favor. At the end of the month he has a hearing test which will indicate if he is in fact "hearing" with his brain. I have no doubt he hears, but your brain processes your hearing as well. He may not be hearing as he should. I am a little anxious about this. Aaron is a very sweet little boy and nothing changes our love for him. Thank you for your prayers. All in all, we think he is doing well.




James makes some great faces! That one up top he looks very judicious and fair. Aaron is in my thoughts. You are right, he will have no shortage of love no matter.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the update and pictures. Your children are so precious!! I love knowing how to specifically pray...so thank you for the info. Though we've never met, Laura, just want to let you know that I pray for you, too :) Lots of love from The VanDerKolks!!
ReplyDelete