Sunday, April 19, 2009

April 19

Things are going pretty well. This will be short because Hannah is asleep and I need to clean my house. Hannah and I are both sick with a cold. I can't visit the boys until I am back to health. :(

James weighs 4 lbs. 1 oz. He is doing pretty well. Please pray he doesn't get my cold since I held him yesterday. Preemies born at 27.5 weeks have no antibodies and very weakened immune systems. A cold can be a huge setback for these little guys. It has been great being able to hold James. He was very alert yesterday. He is wearing cute clothes and is able to control his body temperature, so his isolette is open. It finally "feels" like I have babies since I can hold one of them. NICU life is strange when you can only look at and talk to your children. Not being able to care for the boys cuts out the bonding that comes from providing such care.

Aaron's oxygen saturation has been "yo-yoing" from high to low. This is bad for eye development, please pray his eyesight is protected. His lungs are in poor condition. At this point being off the ventilator looks like a big hurdle. The ventilator damages to lungs, however he needs it to live. This week I think they will try to administer a mist into his tube that is supposed to strengthen his lungs. If this does not work they may try a diuretic to take some fluid off his lungs. And their last option is steroids to mature his lungs. If this does not work he will most likely need a tracheostomy to prevent possible infection. The trach is not necessarily permanent. The hope his that as Aaron grows his need for the vent will be outgrown and he can eventually breath on his own. He was 2 lbs. 6 oz. yesterday. He is taking HUGE feeds 24 cal. If his feeding trend follows James', he will probably take off and pack on the pounds this week. Thankfully he has no residuals (food left in stomach 3 hours after a feed) and he is pooping. No residuals and pooping show his body is processing the milk and decreases his risk of NEC. I would LOVE to hold Aaron. It is hard not being able to comfort him or hold him.

Hannah has NO idea what is in store for her. She is very bright, but at 19 months she does not understand she will have two brothers home in the next 8 to 12 weeks. She is a major "mama's girl". Please pray that she adjusts to the change well.

We are doing great. Thank you for your prayers and support. Please pray that I get better so I can see my babies. Have a great week.

1 comment:

  1. As always, thanks for the updates. I'm sorry that you and Hannah are sick. I hope you both recover quickly! Wow! Look at those forehead wrinkles on James! The boys are progressing so much and we are so thankful! Love you you all.

    ReplyDelete